September has been a bit of an odd month if I’m honest. After a mostly positive August, my mood slipped again around the middle of the month and I reached a very low point. It’s a reminder that I still have bad days and to be gentle with myself. The feelings became magnified again because it would have been the two year anniversaries for everything for my ex and I: talking to each other, meeting each other, kissing for the first time and I am an incredibly sentimental person. I keep going and try to move on because I hope one day it won’t hurt anymore.
Onto this month’s favourites:
1. MAC – Hug Me – I received Hug Me for free as part of MAC’s National Lipstick Day and it is such a beautiful shade. I will admit I hadn’t heard of it before, maybe because it’s not a hyped up shade that’s often talked about. MAC describe Hug Me as a warm pink with pearl finish but on me the colour has hints of brown as well. Hug Me is a lustre finish which is one of my favourites from MAC, it’s very comfortable to wear and lasts on my lips just as well as other formulas to be honest. A fellow blogging friend, Katie bought the lipstick after seeing me wear it and it’s stunning on her too!
2. xoBeauty Tulip Powder Brush – Before I bought this brush I only had one big, fluffy brush – the Real Techniques Blush Brush – and I tend to use that for bronzer. I really wanted to invest in another one that I can use to sweep blush and highlighter over my cheeks when I want a glowy look or set my face with powder, basically a great multitasking brush that has more than one function. The bristles on this brush are so soft and the tapered end helps to disperse a light wash of product. I love this to apply Soft & Gentle by MAC all over the face or even using it just to apply Soft & Gentle to the tops of my cheeks.
3. Sophie Hannah – The Mystery of Three Quarters – I finished this book in two days and I always think you can tell how much you enjoy a book by how quickly you read it. This is the third ‘new’ Hercule Poirot mystery from Sophie Hannah and she captures the character wonderfully and in a way Agatha Christie would be proud of. I really really hope Sophie Hannah writes more of these!
4. Miss Selfridge Check Scarf – I picked up this scarf on a whim when I placed an ASOS order at the beginning of the month. I ended up sending the item I originally wanted back and keeping the scarf. The scarf is black and bright pink and it is so beautifully warm and soft. My other scarves are neutral, plain colours and this one really pops against black clothing. This scarf is quite long so it can be tied in numerous ways or even worn as a wrap/shawl. It’s good scarf weather in New Zealand at the moment with spring upon us.
5. Goodreads – After almost completing my challenge to read 50 books in a year and sharing blog posts of what I finished, I still wanted to document and keep track of what I read. I’ve heard Goodreads talked about in the blogging community and decided to jump on board and join up. It’s relatively easy to use and I like the organisational component and sorting books into categories/shelves. You can also include the dates you start and finish each book and the website gives you stats about your reading habits. If you have a Goodreads account and want to be friends, add me: https://www.goodreads.com/chanellehayley
September’s Spotify Playlist:
What were your favourite things in September?