I think making goals at the start of a year and calling them goals rather than resolutions doesn’t make you feel as bad if you aren’t successful. Goals normally have more of a measurable outcome and can be assessed and tracked throughout the year. In my first post of 2018 I stated I didn’t have any real goals, I just wanted to be happy, but a couple of days into January I did come up with some. Overall, I am on track with the majority of the eight goals I set for myself.
1. Do one new thing each month – I have been succeeding with this goal. Each month of 2018 so far I have managed to do at least one new thing whether that’s trying a new product or there’s been a new experience I’ve had. I have a page ruled up in my Bullet Journal where I can jot down what’s new each month and at the end of the year I may do a post sharing all of them.
2. Journal everyday – For the most part I have stuck to this. There was the odd day I’d miss here and there when I would stay with my boyfriend as I didn’t take my journal but I am looking forward to having something written down about each day of 2018 and being able to look back at the year in depth.
3. Improve my photography – I am doing okay with this goal but I would like to practice and get out with my camera more in the second half of the year. I definitely think my blog photos have improved since I first got my DSLR a year ago and I’m so glad I switched to manual mode almost straight away – I have a much better understanding of aperture, shutter speed etc. I want to get out in nature and just walk around with my camera or take it with me if I visit somewhere for the day.
4. Read 50 books by September – Technically I started this goal in September 2017 and I am proud of the progress I have achieved. I’m going to be honest and say I don’t think I’ll be at 50 by September 2018 but I’ll be near.
5. Watch 20 movies – I have achieved this goal already! I didn’t want to set an unrealistic target but I do enjoy watching a good movie. I only had one rule, the 20 movies had to be ones I hadn’t already seen before. Now I’ll be seeing how many I can get to by the end of the year.
6. Declutter – I have been successful with this goal too. In January/February I had a small makeup declutter and last month I cleared out some clothing from my drawers and wardrobe. By declutter I don’t just mean get rid of things but I want to use up what I have and not buy things for the sake of it. Decluttering also relates to cleaning and simplifying.
7. Lose weight – I don’t go by the number on a scale, I go by how clothes look and feel. Over the past few months I have been sick numerous time so I haven’t been able to exercise as much as I would like but I did lose a little bit of weight after the breakup and I have had a few comments saying I look like I’ve lost weight from mum and a work colleague. I accept I’m never going to be a size 8 but getting back into a regular exercise routine for the rest of the year and being able to keep up with it would satisfy me.
8. Don’t spend unnecessarily – I go through stages of spending and then not spending for a little while. I do save most of my money and am generally pretty good. Probably the most expensive thing I’ve purchased so far this year is Shania Twain concert tickets! This goal kind of goes along with #6 – use up what I have before buying more and research and look into things before buying them on a whim.
Did you set any goals for 2018? How are you progressing?