In the second half of the month I really picked up my reading game and the total number of books I finished in July is four, an average of one a week. I’ve been having lazy weekends and I’ve been enjoying curling up on the couch watching movies and TV shows or with a book. Work has been super busy recently so it’s nice to wind down at the weekend and recharge for the week ahead. I’m very much looking forward to having a couple of weeks off at the beginning of September. Towards the end of the month I did some online shopping and as I type this post I am waiting for three orders to arrive… oops! 😛
Onto this month’s favourites:
1. Zoella x Colourpop Brunch Date Palette – This eyeshadow palette has been a real grower and every time I use it I like it more. I know some people were disappointed with the shades but the colours are really nice and there’s an even mix of mattes and shimmers. I still haven’t been brave enough to use the blue but I do plan on applying it to the lower lash line with a pencil brush when I next feel like experimenting. Having never tried makeup from Colourpop until I purchased this palette I am impressed, the formula of these shadows is lovely and the shades are pigmented and last well throughout the day. Initially a few of the matte shades seemed more difficult to blend but the more I use them I don’t think that’s the case. I find sometimes with makeup it has to be worn in a little and the shades do in fact blend nicely.
2. Zoeva 102 Silk Finish Brush – I recently mentioned this brush as one of My Favourite Makeup Brushes. It is comparable to the Expert Face Brush by Real Techniques. The brush blends foundation easily and the head of the brush isn’t too big for my small face. Product does apply nicely with this brush and it doesn’t cake up or take a long time to blend into the skin. The brush is made with Taklon bristles so it’s super soft and washes up well.
3. Palmers Moisture Rich Night Cream – This is a repurchase and picking it up again has made me realise why I liked it so much the first time. I like this better than other evening moisturisers I’ve tried. The texture of the cream is light and product sinks into the skin easily keeping it soft and well moisturised. The cream doesn’t feel greasy or drying and the slight cocoa butter and shea scent is pleasant. When I use this product alongside Trilogy’s Very Gentle Restoring Facial Oil it’s a dream combination!
4. Agatha Christie mysteries – I’m a sucker for an Agatha Christie mystery! Her stories are simply written but they’re so compelling and gripping. It doesn’t take me long to read a Poirot or a Marple because they’re written in a way that makes me want to keep reading. The last story of Agatha Christie’s I read – ‘Nemesis’ – took me less than two days. I understand for some readers her stories may not be super thrilling and action packed but the plot is always good.
5. Cricket World Cup Final – Something not many people know about me as I’m quite partial to watching one day cricket when New Zealand is playing and matches are on free to air television – which isn’t very often. I’d been following New Zealand’s progress throughout the tournament and we did well initially but there was a moment it looked like we might not make the semi-finals. A lot of people thought India would beat us in the semi-final but I felt so proud when I heard we made the final for the second consecutive time. I was even more excited to watch the final which started late on Sunday July 14th as I didn’t have to get up and go to work the next day. I did well to stay up all night and only fell asleep briefly during England’s innings. For the last hour of the game I was nervous and couldn’t sit still, I was literally pacing on the spot because of how close the game was going to be. New Zealand lost by the smallest margin but I personally believe we won the game, we just didn’t get to lift the trophy. The pride the rest of New Zealand felt after that game is amazing. Whilst it was sad not to win, I am extremely proud to be a Kiwi!
- Someone left a KitKat in my pigeon hole at work.
- Went out for wedges on one of my lunch breaks.
- Placed my second Colourpop order.
- Did some online shopping in the last weekend of July; purchased a MAC blush I’ve wanted for ages, a necklace and a couple of clothing items.
July’s Spotify Playlist:
How was your month? Share one of your highlights in the comments!