In the past my end of year round ups have consisted of a number of highlights relating to that year, Fifteen of ’15, Sixteen of ’16 etc. This year I decided to switch things up because I wanted to be a little more reflective and talk about the goals I set at the beginning of 2018.
I’m not going to lie, 2018 was fucking difficult at times. I don’t want to spend a lot of time talking about the negatives but it’s easy to see how people get bogged down. I look back at myself and all the different emotions I’ve felt throughout this year and part of me can’t believe it happened. I see myself as someone who just keeps going because I have to. I’m strong and I always hope the next day will be better. I may be accused of being a pessimist and sure I have moments of pessimism but I actually see myself as a realist and I have plenty of moments of optimism. I don’t take things for granted and I note down something good about every day even if the day itself is not good.
The undercurrent of 2018 was change. I’m not going to let the breakdown of my relationship define the year but when you’re betrayed you’re not the person you were before. I became harder. I’m even more hyper aware of how people act and what they say. I’m smarter now, I’m extra cautious and I will not give my trust easily. If someone doesn’t respect you and can’t match your effort, don’t be around them. I will never stop being kind but that doesn’t mean I’m going to let people take my kindness for granted and walk all over me. I’m going into 2019 stronger and more resilient. If people don’t want to be in my life, they know where the door is! Being on my own for the past eight months has helped me focus on myself again and my priority is looking after my happiness, my mum’s and Halo’s.
At the start of 2018 I set eight goals. Here’s how I got on:
1. Journal everyday – Complete.
2. Improve my photography – My pictures have improved. I continue to use manual mode on my DSLR. I would like to get out more with my camera and try outdoor/scenery shots.
3. Read 50 books by September – I came close, I read 45.
4. Watch 20 movies – I watched 27 movies in 2018: The House At the End of the Street, Steve Jobs, Poison Ivy, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, The Post, Oblivion, Murder On the Orient Express, Crooked House, Cellular, Money Monster, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Don’t Breathe, The Intern, Dark Places, The Tall Man, Avengers: Infinity War, The Next Three Days, Fracture, Arbitrage, Assumed Killer, Seeking Justice, Panic Room, Passengers, The Resident, Mothman Prophecies, Jack Reacher and Jack Reacher: Never Go Back.
5. Declutter – I had a few makeup declutters and did a project pan. I also cleaned out my wardrobe.
6. Lose weight – After the breakup I didn’t have to try but I’ve put some of the weight back on.
7. Don’t spend unnecessarily – I think I could have done better with this but I don’t buy just for the sake of it, I research and consider my purchases. A girl’s allowed to treat herself sometimes!
8. Do one new thing each month – Complete. I left this goal until the end because I knew it would take up the most room. Below is a list of new things I did each month.
- Started bullet journalling
- Uploaded my first YouTube video
- Got a new Birman kitten
- Played mini golf
- Tried L’Oreal’s Lash Paradise mascara
- Downloaded my first eBook
- Burnt my Ecoya candle
- Purchased hot chocolate sachets from the supermarket
- Purchased a Dannii For Target coat
- Bought my Shaaanxo eyeshadow palette
- Started watching Instinct (TV show)
- Wore blue highlighter
- Bought a car
- Tried a new Indian restaurant
- First time using facial oil – love it!
- New glasses
- First order with White Fox Boutique
- Joined Goodreads
- Bought some goodies from MECCA
- Reached 1,000 blog followers!
- Makeup Revolution launched in New Zealand
- Tried an apple turnover
- Got a promotion at work
- Saw Shania Twain in concert
- Tried sushi for the first time (not a fan)
Did you achieve your goals this year? How do you feel 2018 was for you?
I want to say a huge thank you for all the support this year! I feel lucky to have such lovely blogging friends and to be able to continue getting to know you better. Wishing you all love and happiness for 2019! ❤