Happy Monday lovelies! Recently I’ve found myself becoming a fan of nude-brown lips. Normally I don’t like brown at all but I have always thought a nude lip looks beautiful paired with a smoky eye or a bright shimmery eye look. Today’s post features a makeup look inspired by Vanessa White. Vanessa is a British singer and member of one of my favourite bands The Saturdays. Vanessa’s makeup is always immaculate and there are a few key points to achieving her look; a matte (or nude) lip, dark smoky eyes and a flawless base.
I don’t wear a lot of smoky browns so it was fun to create this look and experiment a bit with darker colours. Obviously my skin is paler than Vanessa’s but I knew the look I was going for and adapted her signature style to suit me and my skin tone.
1. Simple Replenishing Rich Moisturiser – I squeeze a small amount into the palm of my hand and apply it using my middle finger. Thin, frequent layers soak into the skin more easily and are less likely to clog pores.
2. The Body Shop Vitamin E Face Mist – I spritzed this onto my face after applying moisturiser to give an extra bit of hydration.
3. Brown Eyebrow Pencil – I hardly ever fill in my eyebrows but I know Vanessa is a fan of a bold brow. Mine are naturally quite thick (lucky me) so I filled them in slightly to give a hint of definition. I did this first so any harsh lines would be covered by foundation/concealer.
4. Max Factor Lasting Performance Foundation in 101 Ivory Beige – I opted for this foundation over my Rimmel Match Perfection as this gives a more matte coverage and more coverage in general; adding to that flawless look.
5. Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in 15 Fair – As usual this was applied on my chin and around my nose where I have some redness. I also applied a small amount to the outer corners of my eyes to brighten things up a little so they wouldn’t look too dark with all the eye makeup.
6. Australis Concealer Stick in Light – I don’t use concealer stick a lot anymore since I purchased Maybelline’s Fit Me but I decided to change things up a bit and try and use this for some contouring. I applied this on my chin, my forehead, down the centre of my nose and on my cheeks in a triangle shape.
7. The Body Shop Honey Bronzer in 01 Light Matte – I lightly dusted this bronzer into the hollows of my cheeks and up onto my forehead and jawline using a ‘3’ motion.
8. Maybelline ‘The Nudes’ Eyeshadow Palette – This palette had to be it with the gorgeous browns and taupes. Shade 3 was applied as a base all over the lid followed by shade 7 which was used in the crease as a transition shade. Shade 6 was then applied over shade 3 and blended with shade 8 to create the dark smoky look.
9. Rimmel Supercurler Mascara – This mascara adds a lovely curl to my lashes and the curved brush really allows you to get into each individual eyelash and wiggle the brush to distribute product.
10. Dainty Doll Cream Blusher 003 Billion Dollar Babies – This blush is literally the perfect everyday, barely there shade. I wanted to use this nude shade to add a little something to my cheeks without going over the top with colour.
11. Rimmel Apocolips Lip Lacquer in 200 Comet – Vanessa prefers a matte lip to a gloss but this is the closest lip product I own colour wise to her style. What I love about these lip lacquers is that the finish is somewhere between glossy and matte. The formula is not sticky and packs a punch on the pigment front. Comet also inspired this post and this look!